Sunday, July 22, 2012

Day 17


Today was again, mostly a drive day. We started off a bit later – loading the bus at 8:45 and heading out towards Vienna. We did 2 stops along the way, a 15 min toilet stop and a half hour lunch stop. Matt and I did lunch at the gas station because the restaurant was very pricy. We got into Vienna around 4:30 and had until 6:30 to shower and organize our things before dinner. Dinner was not originally included, but head office ended up calling the hostel and getting us a free dinner. It wasn’t very good, but I couldn’t really complain because it was free. Cold pickled potatoes, schnitzel and salad which a lot of people (myself included) put yoghurt on instead of salad dressing because we can’t read German. 

After dinner was our walking tour of Vienna. Our guide was a funny man with a LOT of knowledge about everything in Austria. We passed churches, monuments, government buildings and a shopping street, stopping to hear the history of each place in lots of detail. 

The tour ended at about 8:50pm and we had some free time to explore. I would have loved to see the Freud museum, chocolate museum and a few other interesting places, but unfortunately everything was closed. Instead we went for a walk, picked up a magnet (I can’t remember if I mentioned before that Matt and I are getting a magnet from every country we visit), had a snack at McDonalds and made our way back to the hostel which is where I am typing from now. It is already past time to go to sleep because we load the bus at 7:15 in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment